Oil Change near Me
At Nissan of Mobile, we’re committed to providing exceptional offers and services to drivers in Mobile, Prichard, Saraland, and Daphne. The oil change is one of the most common and important types of automotive maintenance that your vehicle needs, and we’re happy to help drivers with this crucial service. However, in order to stay on top of your vehicle’s oil change, you’ll need to know when it’s time to get your oil changed.
Below, you will find this out, as well as why it is so important, warning signs you need an oil change, and much more. So, let’s dive right in and end your search to “oil change near me” once and for all.
Why Do I Need to Have My Oil Changed?
Oil is an important part of your vehicle’s overall function. It lubricates the moving metal parts and components in your engine. Without oil, these parts would grind together and cause friction, which would result in your engine overheating. This won’t only allow your engine to not function properly, it could result in damage and even a fire under your hood.
Oil also helps keep these moving parts clean, but over time, it will absorb the dirt and debris and become less effective at performing its function. That’s why it needs to get changed out periodically. However, if you put off an oil change, you’ll notice a sluggish performance, a major drop in fuel efficiency, and if enough time passes, your engine will seize up and you’ll need some costly repairs.
How Can I Tell That I Need to Get My Oil Changed?
There are a few ways that you’ll know when to get your oil changed. The best way to know is by keeping track of your mileage. Your owner’s manual will tell you the recommended mileage that you’ll need to have your oil changed. When you know the recommended interval, you can plan ahead for your next oil change.
If your owner’s manual is not handy, professionals suggest that oil changes are needed every 5,000 to 7,000 miles for engines that use synthetic oil (which is most newer vehicles). However, you might consider getting it changed more frequently if you’re using conventional motor oil or have a turbocharged engine. Diesel engines can go a tad longer in-between changes, as well.
Your vehicle will also let you know when it’s time to do this.
What are the Signs That I Need an Oil Change?
If you haven’t kept track of your miles during your last oil change, there are a few signs that will tell you that it’s time to have your oil changed. However, once you notice these signs, you’ll want to schedule an oil change near you as soon as possible.
- Oil Change/Check Engine Light: As the most common warning sign, this oil change light will illuminate on your dashboard. This is your car’s diagnostic system telling you there is little oil, or the substance has become less effective.
- Dark and Gritty Oil on Dipstick: Over time, oil gets dirty, sludgy, and full of debris, making it harder to do its job correctly. When this happens, it is easy to see when you check your oil. Find out how to do so below.
- Louder Engine Performance: When the oil is not there to provide a barrier between the working parts of your engine, it can make unusual noises like knocking, grinding, or roaring.
- Smoke Coming from Exhaust: Dark smoke coming from your exhaust is typically your vehicle letting you know something is seriously wrong. This can be caused by an oil leak or your engine malfunctioning due to lack of oil.
- The Smell of Oil Inside the Cabin: If you’re smelling oil inside of your vehicle, it’s time to get into your service station right away. This can be the result of oil spilling where it shouldn’t, or a leak caused by not changing the oil often.
How Do I Check My Oil?
Checking your oil once a month is a smart habit to get into. This will let you see when you oil changes, allowing you to keep on top of your maintenance appointments. This process is easy and doesn’t take much time.
1. Turn off the engine and let it cool (this usually takes about 15 minutes).
2. Pop the hood open and find where your oil dipstick is located. Depending on the type of engine, this is typically in the front or the back.
3. Remove it and inspect the oil at the end of your dipstick by dipping your finger into it. Oil should be an Amber color and smooth to the touch. If it is dark, sludgy, or gritty, it’s time for a change.
4. Wipe the oil off the stick with a lint-free, clean rag. Now reinsert it back into the pipe and take it back out again.
5. This time assess the levels. Does it reach the “full” line? If so, you have enough oil under your hood. If it is at the “add” line, it might be time for an oil change.
Getting an Oil Change near Me
At Nissan of Mobile, we go the extra mile for our drivers. When it’s time for an oil change, we’ll be sure to perform this service as quickly as possible so you can get back out on the road. Our certified technicians provide great care and attention to every vehicle that enters our service department.
The oil change is an absolutely necessary service in order to keep your vehicle in great shape but to also last throughout the years. After performing the oil change service, our technicians will even notify you when the best time is to have this service repeated so you can stay on top of your vehicle’s necessary services.
We proudly serve drivers in Mobile, Prichard, Saraland, and Daphne with our automotive services and regular oil changes. Schedule an oil change near you at Nissan of Mobile today! We hope to see you in our service department soon!
Have a question? We’ve got the answer!
* = Required Field
|Monday – Friday||8:30AM – 8:00PM|
|Saturday||9:00AM – 7:00PM|
|Monday – Friday||7:00AM – 6:00PM|
|Saturday||8:00AM – 4:00PM|
Mobile Collision Center
3025 Government Blvd.,
Mobile, AL 36606
|Monday – Friday||7:30AM – 5:30PM|
|Saturday – Sunday||Closed|